The beginning of this service provider organization dates back to 1956 when it was called the National Council for the Welfare of the Deaf and the Blind.
Its first President being Prof. G.P. Malalasekera and the First Hony.Secretary Hector Arul-nayakan attorney at-law. It had Mr. .C.J Oorloff, Sir Cyril De Soyza as Presidents and Mrs. Sita Seneviratna, Mrs. D.A. Ranasinghe as Hony. Secretaries prior to the period 1971.
To make the Blind see what others think they do not see.
To work together with the Blind and sighted identifying the needs and aspirations of Blind / Vision Impaired persons and to provide required facilities for Educational, Social, Employment, Cultural and Secure equity. Dedicated to provide free services to the Blind community. The services provided which were based on charity, will in future, be based on rights, development and empowerment.